When we are approached by a homeowner or an architect with a set of plans, we outline what pre-construction services involve. A good deal of work is always required to close the distance between reviewing drawings at your property and starting construction. This is why we charge an average of 2% of the estimated construction cost to get a client’s project to the point where it is ready to start. Some of this fee may be applied to the final cost of construction should Landis Construction Corporation be chosen for the work.
Pre-construction Services involve the following:
- Timely response to your requests and correspondence.
- Thorough understanding of field conditions and drawings.
- Detailed estimate with detailed break-down by trade.
- Value engineering - many projects undergo this process when budgets are exceeded and/or design concepts get modified. The process can involve the pricing of alternate, less costly materials & methods of construction.
- Input, if necessary, on code and permit requirements.
- Review and/or provide solutions to even the most challenging remodeling and construction needs. We draw on decades of experience and reliable subcontractors to review your needs and wants. These include mechanical systems, electrical systems, codes & zoning issues, water and drainage issues & building construction processes & phasing that are parts of every construction project.
- Develop a construction schedule with anticipated start and finish dates.
These important pre-construction services are like developing a project. They involve a substantial time commitment.
Developing a team approach helps insure a successful job. Before the first footing is dug, a great deal of work will already have been done. Pre-construction Services are a critical component to the Landis Construction team approach.
* If we spend a good deal of time reconstructing a project to improve the budget and/or “constructability” of a job we charge for this time as consultants.
Working With Your Architect - "Part of the Team"
Perhaps the most exciting time in the building process is putting your "dream house" on paper, with your architect. Plans are made, finishes chosen, design elements fixed . . . you can "see" your project take shape. We all know how disappointing it is, however, to discover the design exceeds the budget. We'd like you to avoid making this common mistake. If we are involved in the early stages of your project, we can verify that the scope of your project meets the proposed budget.
As a team member, we will work with your architects. We will help you keep the project within your budget.
For more information, please visit our Pre-Construction Services page.
Chris Landis, AIA
Ethan Landis, LEED AP, CR
Landis Construction Corporation
(202) 726-3777 | www.landisconstruction.com